Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Credentials

Hello, readers!

Before we dig into the nitty-gritty of my life as a gamer in the present, I do believe it is important for you to get a better understanding of where I come from as far as the hobby is concerned.

I mean, I may have wonderful gaming advice and delightfully humorous anecdotes, but that kind of loses its zing unless you have some credentials to back yourself up.

I'll begin with a bit of history of how I jumped into the deep end of the pool without swimming trunks, and then I'll give you a delightful list of random facts about my gaming career that are sure to educate you much more fluidly than a long drawn out game-by-game analysis of everything I've ever ran/played.

The Backstory:


(How many motivational posters is this guy gonna use?)

Unlike many people I've met, I was not led to the Holy d20 by an evangelist of the hobby. I discovered roleplaying all on my lonesome in a most peculiar way. As a young boy, I was very into Star Wars (still am!) and was browsing the quintessential 'Star Wars' bookshelf in Barnes and Noble when a lengthy tome caught my young twinkling eye. 

Star Wars d20 Revised Core Rulebook by Wizards of the Coast.

I pulled it from the shelf, plopped down on the floor, and read as much as I could before my Dad pulled me out of the store. Immediately, I was enraptured by the concept which sounded like the perfect way to live out the many Star Wars adventures I had playing in my head.

My chance to begin in this hobby didn't come until years later when I was able to snag myself a copy and convinced a few of my friends to try it with me. I taught them the game, and the rest is, as they say, history.

Random Facts About Me!

-I've GM'ed five games to absolute completion.

-I've GM'ed at least a baker's dozen other games that were not completed.

-My favorite group size is three. Two players and a GM.

-Through my personal RPG evangelism, I have brought at least ten people into the hobby who have remained with it.

-I have a terrible case of Perma-GM syndrome.

-When I do get to play, I typically play female characters.

-My GM style is primarily based around story, character interactions, and drama as opposed to combat (though there is still plenty of that regardless).

-I've run more Star Wars games than I care to recall.

-The name of this blog comes from an occurrence where a player violently threw a d20 at another player during a perception check and declared, "PERCEIVE THINGS!"

-My favorite systems are Storyteller and Cortex+ (Yay die pools!)

-I sincerely wish I was a better player.


So, those are my credentials. Hope you enjoyed getting to learn a little more about me! If not, here's a funny picture. Have a lovely day.

-Wes


No comments:

Post a Comment